Sunday, September 14, 2014

Veteran grapples with long term affects of Agent Orange

Members with Vietnam Veterans of America said they hoped an event on Sept. 13 would raise awareness about veterans impacted by Agent Orange.

The event will be held Sept. 13 at United Steelworkers of America on East Trent in Spokane Valley.
Veterans and their families are invited from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.. 




According to Vietnam Veterans of America, 18 birth defects have been connected to Agent Orange exposure.  Members said 22 presumptive diseases have also been caused by Agent Orange.

Raymond said his problems began when he was serving in Vietnam.
"Tingling sensations in my hands, and my feet, and my face. It didn't seem very normal to me. So, when I went to see the doc, he told me, 'You need to take some salt tablets because you're dehydrated.'"
Raymond said he now knows he has a rare form of blood cancer. 

He noted he also suffers from diabetes, gastroesophageal reflux disease or GERD, and peripheral neuropathy. 
"We have some evidence that we can use to show legislators that, yes, there is a problem!" Raymond said.

No comments: